Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Sandwich Tree

I would be remiss if I did not speak about my EAF/NELA/SLFA/Sallie Mae days in Seattle. By now you've probably gathered that getting into the workforce for me was no small feat. Graduating in August 2001 with a Psychology degree and the subsequent tanking of the economy didn't bode well for my immediate success on the job market. It took awhile.

In January 2003, after a vehement Eme Ashe defied her family's demands and returned to Seattle, a miracle occurred. I found a temporary opportunity only weeks into my third attempt at making Seattle stick. It was a 90 day assignment processing student loans. I think it paid $10.00 an hour or something close to that. I was elated. 90 days turned into 3 1/2 years. My supervisor realized she couldn't live without me and hired me on full-time after 10 weeks. She recognized my abilities and told me her goal was to get me, "up and out." And she did.

In August 2004 I was promoted into an Account Manager role. It was my first promotion, my first Exempt level position, my first feeling of, "ok, alright, I'm doing this adult thing, I'm going places." I met my new team. What a diverse group of personalities! We had N, who was pretty much coasting, despised by management, and simply biding her time. Then there was K, who was an overachiever, attributing meaning to every minute detail that in the end proved meaningless. It was her strength and her weakness. I would hire her in a second but I wouldn't want to be the one monitoring her blood pressure. L, well, at first L was sitting outside of the room that held the Account Managers. It was a physical distinction. Her job was different than ours and for some reason, that meant she had to sit alone. Sad. L, I would also hire in a second. Ridiculous attention to detail, reliable, hard working employee. Real, honest, funny, person. Last, but not least, is D. D was pretty much the opposite personality of everyone on the team. A morning person, almost always positive, usually very talkative...we needed her, my God we needed her. When the rest of us were too busy with our spreadsheets (K & L) or too busy being sleepy and cranky (me,) D was giving friendly customer service and providing the light we all need to lure us out of our spreadsheet/cranky caves.

Occasionally we would venture to the nearby neighborhood cafe, The Sandwich Tree, and feast on breakfast sandwiches, coffee, BLTs, or bagels with cream cheese and tomatoes, all while talking about the somewhat surly employees. This weekend I had lunch with D & L. It was a happy reunion; maybe a goodbye? We had our own Sandwich Tree complete with bagels, cream cheese, and tomatoes. Mmm.

I love you ladies! Thanks for lunch! Thanks for the memories! Thanks in advance for the future memories! I would hire you both - you are forever in my pipeline of candidates and friends. :)


2 comments:

Awww, makes me sad, but I do have to say you are accurate in your assessment. I am also so very proud of the professional you have become. You were never meant to work there forever and you really were never meant to work in that type of environment. I am glad that have found something you are passionate about. I am looking forward to keeping in touch with you for as long as you'll let me. :) Sweats
 
:) Aw Sweats! We will have always have Facebook and blogs and email and maybe our own Sandwich Tree every 3 years!
 

Post a Comment