Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Photos Speak Louder Than Words


I wanted to take a minute to illustrate the significance of weather in Seattle. (I rarely tire of weather talk. I warned you.) Last weekend was GORGEOUS, in fact it was so beautiful that I took this photo from my deck just to capture the moment.

This weekend is disgusting. DISGUSTING. It is June 20th, almost the summer solstice, and it is 56 degrees and raining. Not to capture the moment, rather for comparison's sake, I snapped this photo. No, this is not a black and white photo. No, this is not a photo of Seattle from long ago. This is a photo taken from the very same spot of the very same view as 7 days ago.


You see, this is why people in Seattle mention the weather so often, especially during a year like this, when we have October weather in June, (more accurately, October through June). When the weather is nice and the sun makes an appearance this is the prettiest place on earth. It is the Emerald City - it is shiny and new and magical and breathtaking. The weather of today is just a sad reminder of what was and what isn't. Literally, the city is covered and we can do nothing but sit and wait for its beauty to be unveiled.

Today, I feel like Seattle is stuck in time. The rest of the country is moving forward, through the seasons, into summer. School is out, picnics are happening, children are playing. Here, I am laying in bed until 10am simply because it is dark, gray, and cold. I don't want to get out of my cozy covers; I don't want to go outside.

I love the rain. I love this weather. But not ALL THE TIME. Even my melancholy, romanticized, drink-coffee-watch-the-rain-fall-in-love-write-a-poem psyche can't take this.

4 comments:

I blame your La Nina. At least we had some beautiful days in February!
 
I agree, it really does feel like we're stuck in a weird time warp. I keep looking at all my lovely sandals longingly.... This sucks.
 
You know I love the rain as much as you do, but for me it's that I'm getting really tired of my winter clothes and shoes. They need a rest, and my sandals are getting antsy.

BUT, that's not the purpose of my comment. I just realized that Asheville is right near Penland! Artist-wonderland area filled with pottery people. I've always wanted to visit, and plus I need to replace the creamer that Ulysses broke (naughty kitty!) It was made by a potter from there and I loved it. Yay Asheville!
 
Yay Asheville! You guys have to trust me. I have learned much from my time in Seattle. I won't forget what I have learned as I pick my next place to live. There will be potters, oh yes, there will.
 

Post a Comment