Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Monday, June 21, 2010

A Lot of P and Not Much Else

Patience
Remember that time I posted something about how I would accept any and all lowball offers? I think I changed my mind. I found out a few things today. 1) I am definitely getting an offer. 2) It is definitely going to be less than I thought. It is in fact a veritable “low ball.” 3) My new title would be Recruiter. 4) I would be a 100% Recruiter. 5) I would be doing nothing but recruiting. 6) I would be barely using either degree and be making way less than anyone else doing my same job in the for-profit world and I would be only recruiting. 7) Recruiting would be the thing that I am doing and pretty much nothing else.

That’s right, I have the job description and it is a lot of what I am doing now plus a lot more recruiting for not much more money. I’ve thought and thought and thought about this. The absolute truth is 1) this is not by any means my “ideal” job or even close to my “ideal” job, 2) this is a job I could do and do well, 3) this job would allow me to stay with the AHA indefinitely, and finally, 4) I will not take this job unless I can do it from a home office in Ashvegas. That is my decision (always subject to change of course. No surprise there.)

I can’t take this job if they tell me I have to move to Texas. Or if they tell me I have to move somewhere specific that I would hate. If they tell me I can move back east but will have to move to a location with an AHA office, I would consider that. Consider that. I guess my patience will have to hold-up for a few more days.

Priorities
I’ve had a lot of time to think over the past year. I intentionally locked myself into a year-long lease so I could force myself to think through my priorities and next steps in life. I knew I didn’t want to provide myself the opportunity to leave Seattle in a flurry of emotion. I don’t want to leave until I am sure. Well, the truth is, I am never going to be sure. I’m not in a place right now where I can be truly sure about anything. My brain just isn’t working that way.

I am sure that 1) my life here is currently, and has been, a dead-end, 2) I am going to miss this city and this part of the world, 3) I have a really stinkin’ cute niece who doesn’t know me – DOESN’T KNOW ME, 4) I have a really cute nephew who does know me but is going to forget me pretty soon, 5) the rest of my family is not as cute but just as lovely and it’s about time I put them above myself.

At the end of the day it’s pretty clear. I hope this job works out, I do, but I am moving back east at the end of August with or without it. That is my decision.

Peanut Butter

Oh my gosh, have you had the Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream from Tillamook? It is love at first dig-through-the-chocolate-to-get-to-the-peanut-butter bite.

3 comments:

Your twitter post is great! I only had to read it twice to get it ... but had to explain it to 'ol Bob ... of course it is pretty late here ... Sweet Dreams so you can Explore the possibilities and maybe Discover the chocolaty-peanut-butter bite of a great opportunity.
 
Bummer about the job. But! It can simply be a means to an end. If they are cool with you doing it from NC, then take it... but be persistent in looking for a new position in Asheville once you get there. I am still doing some serious debating, but I feel as though I am committed to being here through October. I've got a trip to Hawaii in August and my brother is coming to visit in October. I'm hoping I will have a better idea of what I want to do by then. I think it was really smart of you to force yourself to think it through for a year.
 
Hey - remember a "small salary increase" in Seattle will go SO FAR in Asheville! Truly.
 

Post a Comment