Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

IT saved my butt and my halo

I finally understand self-sabotage. It’s not intentional, it’s not conscious. It’s stealthy and quick.

Today I sent a huge, long email to my probable new boss about the new job and that I want to relocate in August and that I know I am taking a risk and the position might not work out and blah, blah, blah. I feel good about it, relieved that I have clearly said everything I need to say. I have thought through all of my options and I understand the potential consequences. I feel peaceful and calm. Hours later I get a wonderful reply that only leads me to believe I will get this job, I will move in August, and I can soon cry tears of joy. I end my day hoping for/expecting an offer tomorrow.

THEN – then I misunderstand some instructions from my boss and I send a spreadsheet with CONFIDENTIAL SALARY INFORMATION to an employee. CONFIDENTIAL SALARY INFORMATION OF HER WHOLE TEAM. I know what you’re thinking – how did this happen? Well, my boss said, “Add so-and-so” and I thought she meant to ADD that person to the email conversation. No, she meant ADD her to the spreadsheet. As in, add her confidential salary information to the spreadsheet too not forward the whole dang thing to her. Well, it was an honest mistake. This employee is a mid-manager so it would make sense to include her. Except that…NO, NO, NO!

Let’s just say the past hour was incredibly stressful. I lost some hair and probably a few years. My IT department just saved my butt. I think I professed my love to two, maybe three, different IT guys multiple times. Emails deleted, with only a minute chance they were read. I can keep my job, my sanity, my HR halo, and hopefully, my new position.

HR is hard. Don’t you forget it.

3 comments:

wow. More ups and downs than the Pippin er I mean Thunderbolt. One more day til vacation...you need some downtime.
 
been there ... done something similar ... couldn't retrieve it though ... hope that the recipients really did delete it like i asked them too ... it still gets brought up every now and then ...
 
Funny you should say that...I just got off the phone with an amazing place on the Oregon coast. I am being spontaneous. They have a getaway special next week. Top floor, oceanview. 2 nights. Me.

I might change it to 3 nights. We'll see how tomorrow goes...
 

Post a Comment