Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day #3: Grand Junction to Amarillo

Sunday: Grand Junction, CO to Amarillo, TX

Ya'll, I'm in Texas! I have always wanted to come to Texas; I am so excited! I've been through the Dallas airport a few times but that does not count. There is just something about Texas. So much pride in Texas, so many songs about Texas. I hope I convince myself to explore the city of Dallas this week, but I can see myself working a lot and just retiring to my hotel room for the night. We'll see, I guess it's up to me!

The day started in Grand Junction at my hotel that was really about 5 miles west of downtown. It turned out the entrance to the road I needed (Rt. 50) was a quarter mile from my hotel. Perfect! Rt. 50 from Grand Junction through Delta, Gunnison, and the Rocky mountains was amazing. I highly recommend this drive. Here are a few pictures. I actually stopped to take pictures, which is a pretty big deal for me. I will say that Rt. 50 could use a few more guardrails. 10,000 feet without guardrails can be a bit unnerving. The drive was perfect except for one ill-timed pass of an RV that had the oncoming pickup truck saying his final prayers. He flashed his lights at me and dramatically started driving on the shoulder. He was overreacting; I had everything under control. Though, I did learn to be a little more careful and take into account that oncoming traffic is also going 70 mph, which means you reach each other very quickly. Not a game of chicken I want to play.




I have to say, I am rather proud of my ability to photograph and drive. Most of these pictures were taken through my windshield, a window, or with the camera hanging out the window while I watched the road. When taking a front picture while driving, I found myself watching the road through the camera. This was both rather cool and slightly terrifying.



Is it just me or was this cloud smiling at me? I had to take his picture!
I picked up I-25 in Pueblo, CO and headed south to New Mexico. My first time! One more state checked off my list. I stayed in the north east corner of the state so I don't think I got the true New Mexico experience but that is ok with me. Rt. 87 took me into Texas, again, my first time, turned into 287 at Dumas and there I shall remain. Rt. 287 will take me straight into Dallas tomorrow in about 6 hours. Woo-whee! For tonight, I am at a great hotel in Amarillo. Again, more expensive than I expected but I suppose maybe times have changed? Also, I don't want to hang out at the Motel 6 for $35.99. Tonight I have a handicapped room, because that is what was left, on the top floor, with a king bed. The room is spacious with 12 foot ceilings. I may or may not have spilled salad dressing on my comforter already. Hey, at least I was eating salad! Here are some pictures I took on my way into town.



Good night!

2 comments:

I do think that cloud was smiling at you! Honestly looks like you've had beautiful weather for this trip - hope it continues for you. Great pics once again ... keep on truckin'
 
I'm impressed with your ability to take pictures while driving, too!
 

Post a Comment