Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Unfamiliar familiarity

Same job, same parents, yet life is feeling unfamiliar. Half of my job is new and working at home is really new. Working at home in my parent's house, where I haven't lived in 13 years, is really new and then some. I'm trying to do my new job but I don't know what the processes are, I don't have access to the drives I need, and I don't know who anybody is. Here is what today was like.

You've got mail: "Eme Ashe, let's meet to talk about what is going on with my open positions." Um..."What position and who are you?" All day long.

After staring at my inbox for a few hours, then staring out the window, I went upstairs to make lunch. I found the food pretty well but I couldn't find the plates, the silverware, or the cups. Hundreds of doors and drawers were opened until I was fully equiped to assemble my lunch. It hit me that while I've known my parents my whole life, (ponder that for just a second,) there is still much left unfamiliar. The same goes for my job. I know my recruiting system, I know how to login, how to contact my co-workers, where to get most of my questions answered. Yet, there is so much I don't know it is a bit overwhelming, for today at least. Ok, for this week at least and probably next week too. Soon I will remember where the forks are kept and I will know every name that dare enter my inbox.

AND I WILL GET USED TO SEEING THIS TYPE OF THING STARING AT ME!

2 comments:

Yeesh, I thought the bugs were smaller back east.
 
Hundreds of doors and drawers??? I think not!!
All the familiar yet unfamiliar newness ... you just need to relax into it, sort of like a yoga pose ... (wha-at? I've gone to 2 classes so far)
 

Post a Comment