Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I'm in

Tomorrow is Thursday already. How did that happen? I have been living in Asheville since Saturday, though I don't feel like it is official yet. I'm moved in, partially unpacked, I have cable, internet, wireless internet, and a real phone line. Yet somehow it still doesn't feel real. How did I end up here? This city is a stranger to me. I feel like I just picked a random spot and moved and now I'm here. I know this is a well-thought out decision and if I can't remember how I got here, hey - I know, I will read this blog!

I am proud of myself. I made a decision to move, thought and planned for a year, patiently waited for my job situation to unfold, and now, here I am. I am also proud of myself for deciding on the type of place I wanted to rent and waiting until I found it. I felt myself caving a little bit at times, looking at apartments, trying to convince myself they would suffice. Thank goodness I was patient because I don't think I could have found a more perfect place. Seriously. Seriously, seriously. I am renting a townhouse/duplex that is about 5 years old and is about 3 times the size of my old apartment in Seattle. No shared walls. My own laundry. A garage. A pond. A lake. A loft for my home office. A fireplace. No yard maintenance. And a bunch of neighbors in the community that make me feel super duper young. I think I am the youngest person living here by about 30 years.

Some highlights from the week...if you can call them that. It may be too soon for highlights. Some items of note? Sure.

1. Did I mention I am wireless? I bought a new wireless router and now can wander all over the house blogging.
2. I met the "secretary" of the condo/townhome association I am renting in. She is about 150 years old and drives a sporty red Prius. She hates being secretary. She also told me to contact her if I had questions or wanted to hear the gossip. Awesome.
3. I took a walk down the street the other day and on my way back home another 150 year old lady let her dog out to bark loudly at me as she yelled from the front porch, "he won't bite!" Dude, clearly I am not going to go knocking on her door. Message received.
4. My friend took me to an excellent burger joint nearby. You know a burger and onion rings is going to be good when served in one of those plastic baskets and the 40 year old carpet is duct taped together. Delicious! I can't wait to go back.
5. Mom and Dad took me to Walmart on Saturday night. Yep. Walmart was pretty much my first outing...but I got a bunch of stuff including an awesome night light for the stairs! It's blue.

Soon I will post pictures and stories and pictures that tell stories. Hey, I'm wireless now. Anything is possible.

3 comments:

You just gotta get out and enjoy the crisp, sunny, warm days and take a walk around that lake!! I saw a whirlwind of leaves when I was out walking today - it was pretty neat - Fall has definitely arrived. Looking forward to pictures and stories ...
 
I feel like you are going to be the talk of the community. I bet one of your 150 year old neighbors will try and set you up with one of their grand kids. :) Or Great-Grand kids. :)
 
Congratulations!!! Also, I know just how you feel. I got to Pittsburgh last Friday and started my new job on Monday and every day I'm like "How did I get here? What's going on? I'M CONFUSED." I move into my apartment this weekend and I think that will only add to the confusion. I'm sure it will all sink in (for both of us) soon.
 

Post a Comment