Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tissue? I hardly know you!

Why is it that when I have a cold the tissues seem to pile up around the house? Next to the couch, next to my desk, on the floor beside the bed. Am I that much of a slob that I just pitch my filthy germs everywhere until I'm well enough to actually throw them away? If it wasn't a health code violation of sorts it would be comical. Another thing about this cold in particular is that it has me craving cookies. I'm a salt, not a sweet. I rarely crave cookies. Really body, cookies will not help me heal. Or will they?

As a child I don't recall having colds often, though I'm sure I had plenty. I do remember having the flu, at least once a year, that would ravage my body and make me pray to see tomorrow. This is just a measly cold but man, nothing makes you feel more alone and pathetic than having a cold. I have to make my own soup, buy my own Nyquil, tuck myself into bed at 8:00 every night.

Last week, as I was chopping some vegetables, I sliced right into my finger with a newly sharpened knife. The reaction of my body was really interesting to me, even in that moment of pain. Adrenaline appeared and I felt woozy. It wasn't THAT bad of a cut but it hurt and for a second or two I didn't know how bad the cut was. So my body reacted by saying, "I think we should sit this one out," and tried to get me to pass out. Well, when you're alone, holding a knife, and standing on a very hard tile floor, you don't want to pass out. (Or so I assume.) I put my finger in the air, my head between my legs, and all was well. Man, first aid training does come in handy sometimes.

My finger is healing and I think my cold is too. But not before they both reminded me that I am starting 2011 all by myself. There are worse things than being alone. Unless you are passing out or fighting a cold. Then it's nice to have someone around to "tissue."

1 comments:

Please try to keep the digit-chopping to a minimum. Are you better yet?
 

Post a Comment