Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Southern Living (aka: It's Hot)

That's right, I'm already whining about the heat. It's hot! It was 85 today. I've only seen 85 a handful of times over the past decade. A year ago I was complaining because it was May and 50 degrees and raining, (which by the way, is currently the weather in Seattle.) Apparently this is a bit of a heatwave and these temperatures are not normal for this time of year. It's pretty, it's nice, I am enjoying the thunderstorms, but I'm hot.

Today I did something I am not proud of. I turned on my air conditioning.

Ugh, already? I thought I would be able to hold off until at least July. I really enjoyed my April electric bill. My work loft and bedroom are upstairs and that old saying about heat rising is true. (Saying, scientific fact, whichever.) I think it was hotter in my "office" than it was outside. As my frustration and crankiness escalated I made my decision. Pride be damned, I choose to cool off the house.

It was worth it. It was.

I guess this means I am not a southerner yet. True southerners love this heat and are sitting outside right now drinking sweet tea with a sweatshirt nearby in case the temperature dips to 79 degrees. I'll never love the heat and I don't expect to like sweet tea anytime soon but I do live in the south now so I better get used to this life. And the heat. And air conditioning. There are worse things.

Like 50 and raining. In May. And June. Lest we forget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment