Eme Ashe

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Through thick and thin

You know, I have a lot of things I should post and pictures I should share but right at this moment that seems like a lot of effort. It is storming outside and I'm enjoying winding down from a whirlwind trip to Pittsburgh over this holiday weekend. There is nothing like a severe thunderstorm to really get my brain relaxed and active simultaneously.

It's kind of ironic I know, but everytime it rains, like really rains, I think how happy I am to be back on the east coast. This rain is different from the rain in Seattle. It is thick. Oh sure, it pours in Seattle but that rain is thin and says, "Ha ha, you're getting soaked and it's gray and cold and this. is. your. life." Asheville rain, and really all east coast rain is thick and says, "You feel something don't you? Well, work on that because soon there will be sun and you'll have other things to think about."

So that's what I'm doing. Thinking. The thunder and lightening and rain are pummeling my neighborhood. For awhile I sat in the back of my hatchback in the garage and just watched the rain. Then I started doing that thinking thing. How could I not? East coast rain is why I wrote stories and poetry and analyzed every thought, action, and feeling from age 12 - 25. Today I started thinking about myself. (I am human after all and horribly selfish.) Things I like about myself and things I don't. How I feel about myself and how I want to feel about myself. You know, things you can only think about in a thick rain.

The thought that took me from my car to my laptop was this, "Life in Asheville is good but not great. And thank goodness for that." It is good. There is nowhere else I would rather be right now. And strangely, I am thankful that it is not great. If it was great there would be nowhere for life to go over the next 5, 10, 15 years. Someday it will be great. I am sure of that. Today, I happy with a good life full of potential to be even better.

Now, who do I want to be in this good, soon to be great, life? I'm good. I'm not great. Oh man. I hope it continues to rain for awhile...

2 comments:

That is the best description of east vs. west coast rain that I have ever read. :) I sat outside and watched that storm yesterday, too, it was my favorite part of the weekend!
 
Some of us didn't get a drop of rain... Just lots of thunder and bluster. Stupid "Weaverville Rain Shadow" (Sokol, 1998).
 

Post a Comment